Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Yep Still Playing In The Kitchen

 In an effort to stay off the couch and to keep myself happily busy I spend a part of my days playing in the kitchen. The results have been delicious. 
  Some of the recipes have come from the many cook books on the shelves just outside my kitchen door, and some of my inspiration comes from things I see on line. 
  Today's inspiration comes from a favorite site of mine called Foto Food Gallery.
If you like food photos this is a site for you. Nothing but beautiful food photos and I do mean beautiful. You will even find a few of mine there as well. I like the site for many reasons the pictures being number 1 and the recipes and ideas are a close 2nd. 
  Zucchini boats, the picture just literally screamed at me " YOU MUST TRY THIS."

 The picture showed a stuffing that had ground beef in it. I wanted meatless boats so I didn't click on the picture to get the recipe. Instead I created my own boat filling. It was so good that the boats became the main dish and I put the pork chops back in the fridge for another day.
 As usual I didn't write down a single thing so the recipe I write today will be more memory then fact. Like I always say adjust the spicing to your taste and make it your own. 

 Zucchini Rice Boats
1 cup rice cooked as directed
1 15.5 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
3 Tbsp cooking oil, or enough to cover the bottom of your skillet.
1 small onion ruffly chopped
5 cloves of garlic minced ( If each piece is called a clove what is the whole thing called?)
Cumin
Curry Powder
Ancho Chili powder
Salt
Pepper
1 tomato diced
1 medium zucchini for every 2 people
enchilada sauce
shredded cheddar cheese ( I would use anything you have on hand, almost any cheese type would be good with this.)
  In a large heavy skillet heat the oil, add onion to the hot oil and cook until tender, add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the cumin, curry powder, and Ancho chili powder to the pan stirring quickly mixing the seasonings  until smooth. (I just can't give exact measurements because using a TBSP I just kind of eye balled it. 2 for cumin, 1 for curry and just a pinch of the ancho.) Add the rice, beans and tomato. Mix well until everything is coated. Remove from the heat and set a side.
 Preparing the zucchini takes a minute but it is easy. Wash the vegetable and cut in half length wise. Using a good sharp paring knife cut along the edge of the seeds about an inch and a half deep. Cut a straight line down the center of the seeds the same depth. Now make cuts crosswise on the seed bed from end to end so you end up with little square cuts on the seed bed.

 Take the knife and run it along the cut you made around the edge of the seeds only aim the point toward the center of the seed bed lifting the little squares out as you go. 

Put a cap full of lemon juice in each boat swishing it around to keep the zucchini from browning as you work.
 Fill each boat with a heaping amount of the rice mixture, top with a generous amount of enchilada sauce. bake in a hot 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes until zucchini is tender. Top with the cheese about 5 minutes before the cooking time is up.
 Serve warm then stand back and enjoy all the praise you are sure to get.

 Happy Wednesday! Thank you for stopping by.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living!

       It is Thursday already! where did the Week go? I can't believe how fast time flies some times.        I spent time in the sewing...