Saturday, April 19, 2014

Doggy days & Left Over Ham!


 Happy Easter Weekend! A three day weekend for Bill, dinner at Rita's his sister on Sunday and three days Bowser sitting. Bowser is a miniature Pincher  & Chihuahua mix. He is so tiny and cute and my two big boys have no idea what to make of him. I will let the pictures show you what I mean. I wasn't at my best with the camera but I caught the cuteness even if it is blurry or a tad out of focus. 






Before this weekend is over I will have at least one good clear and focused picture of that little ball of energy one way or another.

    This afternoon I will be taking the mason jar of coins to the bank and cashing them in for the lucky winner. I have managed to fill the jar to the brim and before I leave for the bank I will make one more pass through the house. Please if you haven't already voted go and vote for one of the two worthy causes I have featured in last Saturdays blog. Tomorrow is the last day to vote and I will announce the winner on Monday. You will find the link at the bottom of this post.
   " What Was Dinner" Dinner was salad and corn bread. Not just a salad really more like a meal all combined and served on lettuce. 

It is a recipe I found 25 years ago when I was just starting out as a mother and wife. It is simple and easy with little effort needed. How ever when I first made this recipe it seemed so complicated and exotic. Avocado was not a usual ingredient in my kitchen and making my own dressing rather then pour it out of a bottle was a whole new idea to me, not to mention that I had to make a ham first to have left over ham. Now it is just second nature and all the ingredients are always in the house and when we have a ham I already know what I am doing with some of the leftovers at least. It is as natural to me now as boiling the bone for soup.
  Ham and Guacamole Salad
 For the Vinaigrette:
 2 TBS red wine vinegar
 1 tsp Dijon mustard
 1 tsp sugar
 salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
olive oil
  whisk the first five ingredients together in a small bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in the olive oil whisking as you drizzle, until the dressing is thickened. Set aside.
  2 ripe avocados, peeled, halved and pitted
 2 TBS lemon juice
 Cut the avocado into large slices and in a bowl mix with lemon juice and set aside.
  2 lbs baked ham cut into coarse pieces
 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes halved and thinly sliced
 1 medium onion red or white thinly sliced
 6 cups baby salad mix or spinach or any lettuce you choose.
  Place the ham in a large bowl and gently mix with tomato and onion and the reserved avocado slices. Drizzle with half the vinaigrette and toss.
  Toss remaining vinaigrette with your greens and divide between 6 to 8 dinner plates. Top each plate with the ham mixture and serve.

   I found this recipe in the Philadelphia Inquire recipe section about 25 years ago. I follow as written having changed nothing over the years. I have changed how the recipe was written using different words that mean the same thing so I could share it with you. This is not my creation I am not the author I am just a lover of this recipe.
 Have a Happy Easter and a wonderful weekend. Thank you for stopping by.
give away


No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...