Saturday, July 21, 2012

Dinner in the Summer Time 07/20/2012

I was pretty much torn on exactly how to write this new entry. I still am some what torn so I will just start writing and see what happens.
  Thursday morning I wrote the 3 in 1 blog and then I was off to work. I totally forgot to take any think out for dinner before I left. When I got home I was tired and not to interested in dinner. Bill pulled out some brats and I pulled out hot dogs. While we sat and relaxed with a pre dinner  cocktail I batted around a few ideas about what to do with the brat and dogs. Bill was not being helpful at all what ever I suggested he said okay or yes, what ever is fine with me. I went in to the kitchen and after standing there scratching my head for a second or 2 I proceeded to make everything I suggested.

I call this the sampler dinner. A little bit of everything. On Bill's plate it is french fries,baked beans,pop corn chicken with a spiced up BBQ sauce and a Brat rolled in a tortilla shell with relish and mustard. My plate has a hot dog cut up in the beans and no brat. As I put Thursday nights dinner together I really thought I would be writing that dinner sucked. Frozen fries and processed meats are not my favorites. Much to my pleasure and surprise I enjoyed dinner a great deal. It was fun and tasty and just what I didn't know I was looking for.
  Friday  Night I picked Madeline up after work for an over night visit. I love my time with Madeline and try hard not to do anything to distract myself from her like house work or cooking. Friday however I did have to do a little house keeping and dinner did have to be made. Madeline helped me vacuum the pound of hair off the floor. Poor Domino it is so hot and he just can't help shedding. I planned to make a quick and easy dinner so I would spend as little time as possible in the kitchen. Again what I planned was not what happened. The steaks for dinner looked so good and needed a side dish that looked just as good. I happen to have a cook book open in the kitchen, to a page with a recipe that I was going to be using later in the week for a party. Right above that recipe was another recipe that looked so so so good and was just begging to be the side dish of the night. It wasn't a hard recipe just one that had many steps and required time. I got Madeline's apron and stool out cleared her off a work space and enjoyed the great pleasure of Madeline's help and company as I prepared dinner. She beat, mixed and stirred and watched intently as I showed her how to do this or that. It is by far the most fun I ever  had  making dinner. I can only hope for many more evenings like that one.
                   SAVORY SPINACH RICE SQUARES
4 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 T dry parsley flakes
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t thyme
1/2 t nutmeg
2 pkg.(10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained.
2 cup cooked rice
2 cup grated processed American cheese
 Beat eggs; add milk,butter,onion,parsley,Worcestershire sauce,salt,thyme,and nutmeg and mix well. Combine spinach rice and cheese and toss gently.Add egg mixture toss gently until evenly moistened. Pour into a greased shallow 2 quart baking dish.Bake in preheated 325 degree oven about one hour. Cut into squares to serve. Excellent served with baked ham, or roast pork, or veal.
 That is the recipe that Madeline and I made together. I have written it word for word as it is written in the cook book "recipes" recipes from the Tower kitchen by Carol Haddix, food writer The Detroit Free Press.
 I cut the recipe in half and used Munster cheese in place of American processed cheese. This recipe is excellent with steak.
 Bill cooked the steak to perfection as always and Madeline beamed brighter then the sun as we ate and enjoyed every bite of the rice squares she helped make.
  I wish I had pictures of all this but the batteries in my camera went dead just as I started taking pictures. I used my phone to take a picture or 2 and only the one above came out any good. That's okay  the memory of  Madeline in the kitchen working beside me will stay with me always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...