Monday, July 14, 2014

The Garden, Thank you, & Dinner

Welcome to Monday. A new week is upon us and I have so much to do this week. The house is in sad shape and the garden is begging me to spend time there also. I have more errands then I care to think about and Getty needs a hair cut. Yep my week is pretty well full. That is okay I like to be busy and the weekend holds a treat for us. A little overnight get away and I am so excited about it, that being busy can only help.
   I took a walk to the garden early this morning and looked at all the work I need to get done in the next few days. I took a few minutes to admire all the produce that is popping out every where. I took a few pictures while I was at it. My cucumber seedlings can't be called seedlings any more. They are climbing nicely up the fence that Dzia put up just for that purpose. They are giving me cucumbers all ready, in fact today I will be picking my first little crop of them.



 The tomato plants are all loaded and I even have a few that are turning red.


 My egg plant purple and white are growing fast.



 Insuring that  one of my task this week is cooking and freezing all that beautiful bounty.The peppers are getting big and the cherry bombs are turning red.



 I have green beans still and I am getting ready to plant some more seeds so I have  beans the rest of the summer too. All the herbs out in the field are huge and the bees are loving the lemon and lime basil. I can't wait to see what this next batch of honey will taste like. I keep forgetting to plant some lavender for them. I have to admit I am more then a little impressed with this years garden.



 The fabric is working well, we have weeds in the walking paths but not around the plants. All the staking and stinging was worth it too. 



The tomato plants are heavy with fruit and standing tall instead of laying in the dirt. It is going to be so easy to pick when the time comes.
  I am going to do a little up date here and share a smile with you. Do you remember back in the beginning of June when I attended a life celebration for an amazing little boy. Little Landon. Well after that celebration Little Landon still had a lot of fighting to do and there were more scary ups and downs. I am more then happy to say it looks like Little Landon is winning the fight, battle , and war. He is so cute and getting cuter every day. He is 5 lbs now maybe by this time even more. It was a few days ago that I read the last blog post, and every thing I read was positive good good news. I am sure it won't be long now before Little Landon goes home with his Mom and Dad and we are no longer calling him Little Landon. Around the same time I was reading the last post update on Little Landon I got a thank you card in the mail from Little Landon's parents. It was a nice thank you and one I almost want to frame. I did take a picture of it so you can read for yourself just exactly what made my day and put a smile from ear to ear on my face.


 It is a feeling I will never get tired of, that feeling of pride and accomplishment.
 " What Was Dinner " I have had a request for my spaghetti sauce recipe.

 I went and looked it up and was surprised to see that over the years I had changed it up more than a little bit. I made it easier basically but kept the flavor.

 Red Sauce 
  Olive oil about 2 tablespoons
 1 small onion or half a medium cut into half moon slices
 4 or 5 cloves garlic minced
A healthy 3 finger pinch of
fresh dried basil
oregano
sage
fennel seed
fresh ground pepper
salt 
1 or 2 fresh tomatoes diced
A splash of good red wine 1/4 cuppish
1 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2 the tomato can water
2 pinches of sugar
 In a large dutch oven heat oil, add onion to the heated oil cook until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook 3 minutes more stirring often. Add all of the spices and herbs to the pan along with diced tomatoes. Carefully pour wine into pan and let simmer 5 minutes or so to reduce to half. Pour the crushed tomatoes into the pan and fill the can half way with water and add to the pan. Add the sugar, stir bring to a low boil, stir and lower the heat let simmer at least an hour. 

My Red Sauce
 Enjoy the aroma as it cooks and then enjoy a wonderful meal.
 Cheery Monday ! Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living!

       It is Thursday already! where did the Week go? I can't believe how fast time flies some times.        I spent time in the sewing...