Saturday, July 12, 2014

Life & Dinner

 Again I am late posting and I do apologize but sometimes life gets in the way of my blogging. I have been so busy running hither and yon that I haven't even given a thought to my subject today. As I was driving along this morning picking up prescriptions, delivering suits to the cleaners and checks to the bank I realized while I don't have pictures, or a happy walk to talk and write about I do have life to write about. 
  Thursday found me sitting for 5 hours with mom in her hospital room waiting for a DR to finally show up and give us answers. By the time she showed up I had read an entire book and killed the battery on my phone playing games. I was also at the end of my patience. The DR had very little answers to give me and wasn't worth the wait really. Basically she told us mom would be going to rehab for a month or so, she just had to see physical therapy in the morning and on Saturday we would move her to a rehab center. The DR never once looked at mom or her injuries. I wasn't impressed can you tell. I went home made dinner and passed out.
  Friday despite going to bed so early I slept late and was jolted out of a deep sleep by the ringing of my phone. It was the very same DR calling to say mom was being released and I could pick her up when ever I wanted. It seems Physical therapy disagreed with the DR. They were hands on with my mom and felt she was strong enough and stable enough that there would be no need for therapy at all. So after I put the house in order I grabbed shoes and socks for mom and headed for the hospital. Thanks to a stellar nurse named Alex mom was ready to go and the check out was extremely easy. He gave  mom the best care I have ever seen in a hospital. He checked on her often and made sure she was comfortable.  Once home Mom enjoyed one of her favorite meals of hot dogs and baked beans, sat for a while safely on the back porch knitting her heart out. Then it was off to bed for her.
  While I was driving this morning as I said I realized while I had no pictures and hadn't taken a happy walk or played in the garden I still had a story to tell. The radio gave me my happy story today. I had Madeline at the beginning of the week and as always we had a blast. I left my camera in it's bag and just played with Madeline enjoying every minute with her. We took a car trip here or there and the radio was playing low in the back ground as usual, when all of sudden Madeline says " Grandmama turn the radio up" I do and she starts sing with passion and flair. I wanted so bad to pull over and tape this performance but I knew she would stop and I would deprive myself of the sweet sweet treat. So I adjusted my rear view mirror and drove on with my ear tuned to the back seat and a quick glance here and there courtesy of the mirror.With arms raised and body swaying she was singing with all her heart. I am so glad I didn't stop and ruin the moment. From now until forever whenever I hear the Katie Perry song "Dark Horse" I will smile from ear to ear remembering the best performance of that song I will ever see right there in the back seat of my car. Madeline can sing too, if she thinks no one is listening she belts out the songs holding notes and staying in tune the whole way through.
  While it is not a story of happy walk or my thriving garden it is still a story with a happy ending and that is how I like life to go.
 " What Was Dinner" 

 At long last a meatball recipe that is worthy of my spaghetti sauce. I found the recipe on Allrecipe.com. It is a recipe created by A fellow called Chef John. He has a lot of recipes published on Allrecipes and I have tried a few. So far this is my favorite. As usual I changed a little here and a little there but not enough to actually change the recipe.

 Chef John's Ricotta meatballs
1 small onion minced 
4 cloves garlic minced
1 lb ground beef
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 chopped Italian parsley
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup bread crumbs
A healthy  3 fingered pinch of fresh dried basil, sage, & fennel seed.
Salt & Pepper to taste
 In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Mix it real real well. Form into uniform sized balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet with an edge lined with parchment paper. In an oven preheated to 400 degrees place the tray of meat balls on the center rack. Bake about 30 minutes until cooked through. Turn once or twice during baking.

The best ever meat balls
        Serve any ole way you like.
  Have a wonderful weekend! Thank you for stopping by.  

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living!

       It is Thursday already! where did the Week go? I can't believe how fast time flies some times.        I spent time in the sewing...