Sunday, May 20, 2012

What Was Dinner 05/19/2012

It has been awhile since I have cooked between date night, work and Mothers day weekend my cooking skills have been taking a vacation. So I am sure you understand my total shock when at around 3 pm while playing outside with little miss Madeline I realize I have to cook dinner and I have nothing defrosted or ready.(The microwave my hero)
   It is not easy but I get Madeline to come inside and head straight for the kitchen and the freezer. I know just what I am looking for and as always I know the hot Italian sausage is there but I don't see it, instead I pull out ground beef figuring that will work  just as well and out tumbles the sausage ok I use them both.
 I unwrap the the beef put it on a plate and cover it with paper towel and place it in the microwave on defrost for 8 minutes.I preheat the oven to 400 and put the frozen sausage on a baking sheet and place it in the oven to cook for the next hour.
 While the sausage is in the oven and Madeline is talking to her  collection of horses I brown the ground beef in my cast iron skillet,I season the meat with pepper,onion powder,garlic powder,basil and oregano. Once the beef is just browned I added 1/2 an onion sliced ruffly, I had some tomatoes that were extremely ripe I cut them up and threw them in the pan lowered the heat and covered the pan. Letting that cook for about 15 minutes I joined Madeline in her conversation  with her horses.
  Once the tomatoes were cooked down I added a can of crushed tomatoes and my spices. Along with the normal salt,pepper, sugar,oregano and basil I added ground cloves,nutmeg and allspice. about 1/8 tsp or less I didn't want to over power the sauce. This was cooked uncovered until it began to bubble up then I covered it and let it simmer for the rest of the hour.
  All that was left to do was make the pasta when Bill got home and serve.
    Gotta love pasta and meat sauce it is so good and hearty making the diner believe you had slaved all day to create this perfect blend between meat and tomato,when in truth.....well you know the truth.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...