Thursday, March 21, 2024

A Swans Foot

  


I can't see a button, toggle or switch that eventually I won't be able to resist pulling, pushing, or twisting, just to see what they will do. That holds true fro my editing program as well. 

 Normally I am a bit reserved with my editing program because I like my photos to be straight out of the camera. I don't mind cropping and even a little light adjustment, but I am not at all ready for the photography that is out there now. I find it disconcerting that you don't even have to be a little good with a camera anymore. All you need to do is be able to use a computer and all the tools it provides. You almost don't even have to be the actual photographer anymore. So I am resistant to editing programs that allow you to completely change one photo into an entirely different photograph.

  In one of the groups I play in, this months challenge is  black and white or limited color abstract. As you may have guessed I am not abstract. My mind doesn't work in any abstract manner, so after a few less than successful attempts to achieve an abstract photograph straight out of the camera a, I knew I was going to have to make friends with my editing program.

  When I say editing program I don't mean some professional program that I pay for and need hours of classes just to get started. No I mean the editing program built into my lap top. It fairly easy to use and free, but it is also very limited with just a few features past cropping and exposure. That is just perfect for me.

 I submitted 3 photos this month. 2 were modified in editing to get an abstract look and feel to them and 1 is almost straight out of the camera. I did have to crop incredibly tight to get the result I wanted but in the end I was pleased.

  My first one is something I do like. It is modified to get the results but it was fun pushing toggles and watching a totally different photo come to life. Side by side you can tell they are the same photo, but I don't believe you would describe them as looking alike.


First the photo without any editing . I call it lingering leaf.
 And this is what playing with toggles got me. From what I can figure out I was pushing the curve ( ? ) to the light. Giving me all those beautiful white shadowy high lights in the branches I used other toggles to remove more color.I am happy with the end results.


  Next is the one I only cropped to get what I was looking for. I used my macro lens and scooped in as tight as I could to get the results I wanted. I didn't change the color, light or anything else and I was pleased when I saw the unedited photo on my screen. Just the slightest crop and no one would know, except for the title " A Gnomes Nose" what the photo actually was. I thought the results were fun.

 And finally the reason for the blogs title. When I took the shot I knew I was really only truly interested in the foot. With moving subjects that take no direction sometimes you take what you get and be happy you even got that. Most times photos that get a description like that don't even make the cut and end up on the virtual floor. That is where this photo almost made it too,



  then the challenge came along and I saw the possibilities if I could find in myself even a little editing skills. I am brave enough to push pul and twist, and with the revert to original option I am even braver about it, so I fearlessly faced my editing screen and started cropping. 

Once I started all reservation fell away and I got real curious as to what I could do if I just pushed a bit more.The curve toggle was really holding my attention and as I pushed the pixels towards light and over exposure I was blowing out the water and feathers, leaving just the foot I wanted to be the focus. I pushed as far as I could and not lose the foot too, it still left the tips of the back feathers , but I felt I had gotten a decent abstract photograph, so I stopped and submitted it.



   I also put the abstract version in another group asking for opinions about what I had done. I only got 1 answer but his was enough to make me understand the curve button was about light and dark or contrast. Pushing the toggle in any direction can stretch the photo into unrecognizable and sometime pleasing abstract. He also peaked my curiosity about what would happen if I blew out all the white and light with out losing the dark what would happen if I applied the level. To be honest I have no idea what that is or is suppose to do, but I know pulling everything to the right brought out all the dark with the light poking through like light burning into a film. Pushing all the way to the left brought out so much light it blew out the last of the feathers and left the foot as black as it can be without losing all the little interesting features etched into the webbing of that beautiful swan foot.



   Who knew a swans foot could be so entertaining and so interesting to see up close. I do believe a small print of the swans foot will end up in my sewing/ work room  reminding me, to not be afraid of the outside of the box. 



Whats in the box is nice warm and comfortable like a mid morning nap, but it is always good to slip out from under the covers and go outside.



 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living

    Here it is Thursday already. I swear, you blink and weeks go by.      I can't say anything exciting happened this week. I have been ...