Pay It Forward, Madeline, & Dinner


 I should call this part Kate and Bill instead of pay it forward, because they did something for me years ago, and only asked that I do the same for someone else along the line. I haven't seen Kate and Bill since then so they have to take it on faith that I paid it forward. Once long ago my Ex and I had a bad year and when Christmas came around I was in tears because even with both of us working there just was nothing for Christmas presents. That was okay for him and I but not our son who still sort of believed in Santa. Kate and Bill heard about our dilemma and just appeared at our door one evening with $ 100.00 and strict instructions this was for Christmas presents. Also they didn't want to be paid back they wanted us to pay it forward. Paying it forward is fun even addicting. I have even used this blog and my readers to pay it forward when I ask you to vote. I have paid it forward more then 10 times over what was given to me and I plan to continue. Each time I find away to help where help is needed but not really expected I walk away feeling so good and happy. Most importantly each time I pay it forward I see my son on Christmas morning happily playing at the dinning room table with his new train set in his new starter jacket and underwear. My ex ( pop pop ) and I spent that morning smiling and crying. It is a moment I never want to forget. The lady on the news last night that bought the young women the diapers she gets it too, she even said so "paying it forward is fun." If you have never tried it you should, the joy it brings is so satisfying.
  I have Madeline until this evening sometime, much to my pleasure. I picked her up Monday so it has been like a long weekend packed with fun and laughter. It has been hot very hot as a matter of fact so everything we do is aimed at having fun and staying cool.
  Monday evening we walked out back and picked Madeline's vegetables for dinner, we did the same thing Tuesday only we picked the rest of the broccoli instead of green beans.



 She really enjoys picking her own veggies it seems like she eats more and better. She is a picky eater and veggies are a real challenge, watching her scarf down the veggies she helped grow and picked is absolutely wonderful.
  After dinner and dessert Madeline climbed in Great Grandmom's lap with a book, but instead of Grandmom reading to Madeline, Madeline read to Grandmom. It was too much fun to watch both their faces as Madeline effortlessly read the story " I Will Fly " .




 She didn't just read the words there was expression, and infliction in the words making the listener know for sure how excited, happy, disappointed, or satisfied each of the characters is feeling. For 6 she is a somewhat accomplished reader. No that's not Grandmama's pride showing through.
 Madeline got a chance to meet the chickens and gather a few eggs. Fun fun and the chicken chase at the end is always more fun than a barrel of monkeys.




  Madeline still has a love affair with rocks and stones. Here is a link to another story of Madeline and stones.
2 1/2 2 miles 2 hours
   On Monday while walking back to the house from the garden Madeline got an idea for a project using stones from my driveway. It always amazes me that what I think are the plainest ugliest stones to me are beyond beautiful to Madeline. It took her all evening Monday and all day Tuesday finding the perfect stones for her project. With all her materials gathered together the table set up she settled  herself down for an evening of arts and crafts.



 Her finished product is really good and I am trying to figure out how to preserve them for the long run. If I can figure out how to frame a few I will have some new living room art work.

  What we will do today is still a mystery to be solved. What ever it is it will be no doubt fun and full of memories.
  " What Was Dinner "  Dinner was interesting. I read a blog with a recipe that caught my eye and I just had to try. I had to tweak a little for what I had on hand but not much. If I make this again I will be tweaking even more. This recipe makes a lot of food and I ended up freezing more than half of it. The recipe was called Cabbage roll casserole.

 I call it deconstructed cabbage rolls or golabki ( golumpki)
  1 medium head of cabbage chopped up
 1 lb ground beef or turkey
 4 cloves garlic minced
 1 small onion finely chopped
 1 cup uncooked rice
2 tomatoes diced
1 32 oz can crushed tomatoes
14 oz beef broth
 3 or 4 tablespoon ketchup 
 In a large skillet heat a small amount of cooking oil. cook onion and garlic in the heated oil until garlic is fragrant and onion translucent. Add ground meat and brown crumble as it cooks. Cook rice as directed. Combine rice and meat remove from heat. In a large baking dish combine all the ingredients and mix well. place uncovered in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. Bake for about an hour until cabbage is tender stirring occasionally.

  Okay that is how I made this recipe. The original recipe called for instant rice mixed in uncooked, it also called for tomato juice, and canned diced tomatoes. The way I did the rice (I never have instant) needs to be cut in half, there was way to much rice in the dish I made. I felt the dish itself was bland and needs more then salt and pepper.

 I don't think the juice would really add that much flavor but a little cheese couldn't hurt. 
 Happy Wednesday everyone! Thank you for stopping by.

Comments

Popular Posts