Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dinner in the Summer Time/ Pierogi with Chicken and Gravy

This morning as I looked through my food pics from last night I could kick myself. As you know I am working on faceless recipes this month. Well I found a chicken recipe that sounded very good and was just what I was looking for to go with the Pierogi's I wanted to make. I had leg quarters instead of breast but I still felt the recipe would work. Boy did it ever work, to bad I was so focused on my Pierogis that I forgot to photograph the chicken dish. I did take a shot of the gravy but it is not an attractive picture. Lucky me I get a chance to make the dish again tonight with chicken breast. I am going to take this dish to a pool party tonight.Before I go I will be sure and get my photo's and you will hear all about it tomorrow. For now I will share with you the fun I had making my Pierogis and the mess that goes with it.
 Making Pierogis is easy but very labor intensive. A labor of love and very satisfying as well. I was thinking of my camera when I didn't take step by step shots, my hands where a mess with the dough and there was flour everywhere. I started making the Pierogis in the late afternoon while I was still alone and could concentrate on what I was doing. I didn't finish until early evening just in time to serve dinner. Making the dough it self is easy just a few ingredients 4 to be exact mixed together. Rolling out the dough was a little tricky and took me a minute or 2 to get the hang of. It has a lot of elasticity and would snap back as it was rolled out. The more you fussed with the dough the tackier it would get. Once I finally got the dough rolled out and the correct texture I used a drinking glass to cut my circles. It is a good thing I cut the recipe in half, as it was I cut 32 circles and still had dough left over. I would still be filling and sealing my pierogis now if I had made the full recipe. Filling and sealing the dough is easy enough just time consuming. Once all the pierogis where filled I left them sit on a cookie sheet and worked on the rest of dinner. I like how the pierogis stiffened up a little as they sat. It made them a lot easier to handle as I put them in the boiling water.
                                    Pierogi
  4 cups flour                                   1/2 teaspoon salt
 2 eggs                                              warm water
 1/2 cup sour cream
  Mix together flour, eggs, sour cream, and salt add water slowly until dough feels velvety. Roll out the dough to about 1/2 an inch.  To thin and the dough won't hold the filling, to thick and the pierogis will be chewy. Cut the dough into circles about 3 1/2 inch around.
   The dough is ready for filling.
  When filling the dough using an egg wash along the edges will help seal the pierogis  nice and tight keeping all the yummy goodness in the dough and not in your boiling water.
   This recipe is from a book titled "Heavenly Delights" A collection of recipes from the students,staff, and parents of  St Casimir School. I did not write this recipe word for word as I normally do. I wrote it how I actually made it. The ingredients are the same I just changed the amount, and how the directions were written. I made them clearer also the egg wash was added by me.
 To fill my dough and finish my pierogis I made my favorite mashed potatoes with garlic and onion. I made the potatoes a little stiffer and drier then normal to make filling the dough easier.
 To cook the pierogis I placed them in boiling water until they floated to the top.
 Normally I would then lightly fry them golden brown and serve with sour cream and fried onion. Not last night how ever I did not fry them and served them with gravy and sauerkraut on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...