Monday, September 8, 2014

Pesto, Photos and Cars.



I wasn't procrastinating when I didn't write my Monday post this morning. I was just saving it for later in the day when I knew I would be doing something I hate doing. That is to sit in a car service center waiting for the car to be serviced. The only thing I hate worse is a doctors office waiting room. At least in the car shop the TV is on a better channel then the news channel that is always on in the waiting rooms of most DR offices. That constant loop of film the repeats it self over and over again. Enough to make you nuts. So anyway instead of reading month old magazines or watching game shows I decided to spend my time in the waiting room doing something I truly enjoy. Yep I will spend my time writing getting lost in my own little world passing the time quicker then quick.
  Frustration is the best word to describe my latest photography attempts. I have 2 projects that I am working on and for what ever reason ( Mostly lighting )I can't get it right. I can't get what my actual eye is seeing to show up on the film. Yes I know there is no film but it sounds better then digital  screen. The skies have been phenomenal for the past 2 months. The bluest of blue and full of the fluffiest clouds anyone has ever seen. So fluffy they almost look 3 dimensional.There are layers upon layers of clouds, floating in front and behind each other. Ranging in color from the brightest white to the palest gray. Wrapping around the fluffy free floating clouds are soft white wisps giving every imagination young and old many many pictures and shapes in the sky to enjoy. I am quickly learning not to use the digital view screen, at the very least not to trust what I see. What I see on the camera and what comes up on my laptop screen are never the same. If it looks like the right lighting on the camera it will be way to light or exposed once it hits the bigger screen. Frustration or not as long as the skies continue to amaze me I will happily continue trying to capture it on film.I am not even going to go into what a challenge the color red has been for me.I am just going to keep on trying until I get the results I want.
  In between taking pictures of the sky and certain red objects, I have been continuing to harvest the garden. My second string of tomatoes is about to ripen and I am excitedly looking for other ways to preserve them instead of sauce. I know I will make some more soup, and I might get brave and try canning some whole. This past week I harvested most of my sweet and cinnamon basil. Instead of drying it I turned it into pesto. I have a love hate relationship with pesto something about the taste has put me off a little. That is until I gave a nut free pesto a try and then the hate part of the relation ship was gone.

 With a few ingredients that I always have on hand I put together a very tasty pesto that will compliment pasta, chicken, even a good steak will benefit from this pesto.I have made this a few times now, I have made it with a mix of spinach and basil and I have made it with just basil. From the comments, I get the idea both ways are very good but the 1/2 and 1/2 mixture was liked better. The first time I made the pesto I made enough for dinner and that will be the measurements I will give you.
 3 cups basil leaves,
3 cups spinach
6 large cloves garlic
2 to 3 capfull lemon juice
1/2 cup shredded parm cheese,
1/2 cup oil
Salt and pepper to your taste. Food process it all together in order listed.

 When I wanted to freeze a few batches I pretty much doubled the recipe. I say pretty much because I didn't really measure the second time around. I had a healthy taste before freezing up the latest batch. It is just as tasty as the first. I like a strong garlic flavor and this pesto is not a disappointment on that level.

 My car is done and I am free to go, but but... but I am not finished yet. 
  Have a great week! Thank you for stopping by.  
          

2 comments:

  1. If you dry some of the tomatoes you could make sun dried tomato pesto. It is so very tasty spread on crusty bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BSM, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I can't comment on my blog when I am on Chrome and I kept forgetting to switch to firefox before logging off. How do you dry tomatoes? The pesto sounds really good. I made pesto last night with my lemon basil. I will be making an extra large batch of that again for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Just Living!

       It is Thursday already! where did the Week go? I can't believe how fast time flies some times.        I spent time in the sewing...