Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Madeline and more Madeline & Our New Style of eating


 Good Wednesday to you. I am sorry I missed you all on Monday. I was busy being Grandmama on Monday and by the time Madeline had gone home on Monday afternoon I was a worn out Grandmama. 3 full days with a 5 year old can really be fun also dog gone exhausting.
  It was a busy busy weekend for us we did just about everything we could think of. The weather was perfect almost bordering on hot. The swing set got a work out that is for sure, every time I would look around and not see her all I had to do was go to the back door and there she would be swinging sliding or begging Domino to chase her. I am not sure who was more tired when she went home, me or Domino. He never lets his girl out of his sight and she runs him all over the place.
 We tried out the new sewing machine this weekend. That was fun. I have to remind my self that she is 5 and I can expect nothing from her but having fun. She did better then I expected and was able to run a straight stitch down the seam of the dress we made for her. Then her attention was on to something else. This was a pre prepared type of deal all you had to do was sew a back seam and add straps if you wanted and the dress was done. It took about a half an hour and Madeline had her pretend Easter dress.

 She was very proud of herself to say the least.
  Madeline learned how to spin honey, what a honey comb looks like, and the pure joy of tasting honey fresh out of the comb. She would most assuredly give Pooh a run for his money in a honey eating contest. Dziadzi was teasing all day how we were turning her into a farm girl.


 Shes been sewing, planting seeds, and helping to harvest honey, yep he's right that doesn't sound like a city girl to me.
  After we were done decorating the yard for Easter I handed Madeline an Easter basket, grabbed my camera and we played model for me.




 She likes the game and it helps me learn.
  Sunday was what I call pretend Easter. We do everything you would do on Easter Sunday only a week early. Making it easier for the kids to have an enjoyable Easter without having to visit a dozen different homes spread far and wide. We enjoy a leisurely dinner, Madeline hunts for eggs, and a basket  filled with money or toys, no candy here that is for the real Easter. We convinced her last year or so that the Bunny will come and hide everything but I have to get it all ready for him. It works at least for now, and there is a Movie out there that makes my story possible, I just can't think of the name of it. Pictures of the egg hunt and Domino meeting Bowser were taken by my daughter in law. She did a very fine job catching all the fun and excitement as well as Madeline's sweet new dress.









  I made the choice to leave my camera in its bag and just enjoy the day. Not even 1 picture of the dinner table and it was pretty. Madeline's mom set the table using my pastel Fiesta ware and I served traditional ham, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and salad. Yummy !
  Just a few pictures of Madeline being silly while having a tea party with Grandmom Hopp. 





  " What Was Dinner" In the last few months dinner has changed. When insulin was removed from Mom's life that didn't mean she could free graze and return to eating any ole way she wanted. In fact it meant just the opposite.It meant that foods she could eat while taking insulin would now be removed from her diet or seriously restricted. Carbs and Glycemic indexes now are important words in my world. Understanding what they are, why they are, and how they work have become almost more important than sugar and salt.  Once a while back when I first started writing a blog I would faithfully every morning write about what we had for dinner the night before. I rarely missed a day. ( strange it was easier to write a daily blog when I was working then it is to write a 3 times a week and now I am a stay at home care giver) Anyway I heard more then once from different readers that Bill and I ate a lot of starch. I would smile say yep and plan my next pasta night. Well that isn't true anymore. I didn't just change Mom's diet I changed all of our diets. I totally with out shame admit I am Jonesing for a white potato all mashed with cream and topped with just a dab of butter and salt, or better still some thin spaghetti smothered in red sauce. Instead it is a sweet potato mashed with a dab of butter and no salt, and my oh so loved thin spaghetti is being replaced with  spaghetti squash or thinly sliced zucchini. Our plates look so different now, with little or no starches at least 2 greens and a protein. Breakfast is also no longer the same gone are the cold cereals and toast replaced with fruit and cheese or eggs and bacon or sausage oatmeal or yogurt.
  I have been enjoying the challenge that dinner has been giving me lately and am always on the look out for ideas, and recipes to help me reach my goals. For the most part it is pretty easy and takes little time or imagination, you just reach in the crisper and pull out your greens a fibrous root vegetable or wild rice add your protein and bam you have dinner. So I am always happy to come across an idea that is unique and tasty looking.

  This recipe is just that unique and tasty looking. It also happens to be very good. We all know I love a recipe I can dress up or dress down depending on my mood. Well you can have a blast with this dish. What you can do to a cheese steak you can do to this. 
Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Peppers
1 lb Thinly Sliced Sirloin Steak (or you can use deli roast beef)
8 Slices Provolone Cheese
4 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Medium Sweet Onion
1 pound White Mushrooms
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbs. Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper – to taste
DIRECTIONS
Slice a thin piece off each pepper lengthwise, remove ribs and seeds.
Slice onions and mushrooms. Saute over medium heat with butter, olive oil, and a little salt and pepper. Saute until onions and mushroom are nice and caramelized. About 25-30 minutes. Salt and pepper the steak and saute in a little olive oil until just not pink. About 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400*
Add steak to the onion/mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
Line the inside of each pepper with a slice of provolone cheese.
Fill each pepper with meat mixture until they are overflowing.
Top each pepper with another slice of provolone cheese.
Bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on top is golden brown
I made the recipe as written except I didn't use my cast iron pan. Here is a link to where this recipe was found.Hillbilly Cast Iron
 I have to admit the photo on the recipe is better then mine but that didn't stop my dinner from being delicious.

  Happy Wednesday! Thank you for stopping by.
  PS
    Please remember to go vote for your favorite worthy cause. The vote is open until April 20th. You can find all the info right here.
VOTE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living

    Here it is Thursday already. I swear, you blink and weeks go by.      I can't say anything exciting happened this week. I have been ...