Monday, July 23, 2012

Dinner in the Summer Time 07/21/2012

Boy oh Boy July has been such a busy month and it shows no signs of slowing down. That is just fine by me I like to be doing things and going places. Finding time to do everyday things like Blogging,laundry, and dishes has been a challenge but that is okay what is life with out a challenge.
 Saturday July 21,2012 was Christmas in July.One of the funnest (wow funnest is a real word. I need to look that up) parties of the year. This year was no different. In fact I was having so much fun that I was slow on the draw and didn't get my pictures taken fast enough of all the beautiful food that came to this party. By the time I got there....well the massacre had happened. I got a few pictures of the feast and with a little creative cropping you almost can't tell I was taking pictures of all but empty dishes. There was plenty of food and all of it very very good. Burgers,dogs,chicken made a few different ways and a variety of couscous salads,fresh salads and pasta salads as well.Then there were my favorites. My sister in laws roasted veggies,I like roasted vegetables and Rita has the touch. A pasta/potato salad made with pierogis was at the top of my list. I went back 3 times for that,so did my son for that matter. One of the couscous salads had chicken in it and tomato it was very very good too.
Roasted Veggies, Yummy!!

Perogi potato salad. Very very good
There is one dish I wanted to try and didn't get the chance it was the dish I brought. It was a new recipe and I was worried that it wasn't going to come out right. I still didn't try it took it untested to the party. So I don't know for myself how it tasted. All I know is it was the first dish to go empty and I received some very nice compliments. Based on all the good things said about the dish and no left overs I am going to share the recipe with you all and recommend you give it a try. I doubled the recipe and that is the only change I made when I made this recipe.
Sweet Potato Ambrosia
                     Sweet Potato Ambrosia
      1 1/2 qt. sliced cooked sweet potatoes
     1/2 fresh lemon sliced thin
      1 orange sliced thin
    9 oz. can crushed pineapple undrained
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter melted
    1/2 t salt
    1/2 cup flaked coconut
  In shallow 2 quart casserole arrange half of the sweet potatoes. Cover the potatoes with the orange and lemon slices. Top with remaining potatoes. Combine the pineapple,brown sugar, butter, and salt and pour over the potatoes. Sprinkle evenly with coconut flakes and bake in preheated 350 degree oven about 30 to 40 minutes.


Fun party, good food, great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment