Roasted Curry Pumpkin Soup


 Thanksgiving has come and gone but the food is still around. Leftover turkey dinners and creative turkey creations are happening all over the country no doubt about it. A recipe I created a few years back received a blue ribbon this fall and was featured for a day shortly after Thanksgiving. A fun 15 minutes of fame. I made the dish again this year and it was just as good as the 3 other times I made it. I will feature it here one day soon but for today we will take a look at the pumpkin soup I made for Thanksgiving dinner.
  I had one small pumpkin that I really wanted to turn into a soup. I dragged my feet until the day before Thanksgiving and then I took the plunge and gave cooking with fresh pumpkin a try.I looked up recipes on line and picked one that was to my liking using fresh pumpkin and curry. I used the recipe as a guide line and added my own ideas to it and I came up with a winner. Ding Ding Ring the Bell it was that good.

  Roasting the pumpkin takes the longest but can be done a day or so in advance if needed. Roasting is also the easiest part of the soup, really no part of the soup was hard to make.

  There is a lot of flavor in the soup and using yogurt or sour cream can help tame it for those that are not fans of the strong exotic flavor that a good curry can have. I roasted the seeds right along with the pumpkin and we gave them a try with the soup. We just aren't seed people.
 The ingredient list looks intimidating but not really you can find everything in your local grocery store. I took this opportunity to try out coconut oil. Wonderful stuff and I am looking for a less costly way to purchase it.

INGREDIENTS 
1 medium onion diced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
4 cloves garlic minced
2 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 medium pumpkin cut in half and seeded
3 1/2 cup Thia culinary stock
1/2 cup coconut milk

 DIRECTIONS
Cut and clean the pumpkin and roast in a 400 degree oven until fork tender. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool enough to handle scoop out the pumpkin flesh and set a side.
  In a large dutch oven heat the coconut oil just like you would butter. Add the onion and spread out flat let cook until they begin to brown. Flip the onions and brown the other side with out stirring. Once browned add in garlic and ginger cook stirring until fragrant about a minute more. Add in the spices and cook about a minute until fragrant and roasted. Add in the stock, coconut milk, and pumpkin, bring to a boil.
  Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender and blend until smooth. 
  Serve hot with your favorite crusty bread and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.

The original recipe has you blend in a blender as well as using the immersion blender.  I didn't see the need for it, nor did I rub my pumpkin with the coconut oil
Original recipe

. My soup was banging and we enjoyed it more then once before I froze the rest. I am thinking of making a fresh batch and serving it for dinner Christmas eve.

  I finished my photography course and now am doing a month course on long writing. My first assignment is to interview someone. I am dragging my feet, some shy bone in me is giving my a little trouble but I will get it done.
  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts