Monday, March 3, 2014

Big Snow Monday!

  Well big snow Monday for some people. I however am just north enough of the snow line to only get 5ish inches and the snow is already over. I am not ashamed to say I am disappointed I wanted the full storm with almost 2 days of snowing and a foot or more on the ground. I truly didn't believe we would get what was being predicted but I was hoping. The storm is still around it is just south of me how far south I don't know. All I know is it isn't here. Bill by the way is delighted that the storm moved over us so fast, he still had to go into work to salt yesterday and right now he is plowing the neighborhood out like he always does, he is just happy we didn't get the big KABOOM that I wanted so bad.
   I took pictures this morning of the birds playing on the bird feeder. Always fun to watch. I set up the TV tray with a book and little foot stool. Sat my camera on it to steady it and rolled the desk chair over had a seat and waited for them to come back.





 I really enjoy watching the birds.
  " What Was Dinner "?  A badly written recipe that with a little tweaking and the adding of a few steps turned out to be a keeper, and one of my last tomato recipes. This recipe is also a keeper.
  I chose to make this  recipe for a few reasons. Starting with I liked the title, The challenge it presented, and the chance to once again switch Greek yogurt for sour cream. I love finding out how many ways I can use yogurt to health up a dish. Oh and did I mention it was faceless. To make this recipe I had to add steps the poster seems to have forgotten to put in. As a seasoned cook I knew there were steps missing but I do wonder how many new cooks tried this and ended up with half the ingredients left sitting on the counter, or just dumped every thing in ending up with an ugly mess. This is a pretty simple recipe and easy to prepare, a casserole full of comfort. "Twice Baked Potato Casserole."

 There is just no turning that title down. The author kind of left the reader hanging after the first layer so in my review I listed the steps I used to finish assembling the casserole as well as the other adjustments I made to the amounts of sour cream ( yogurt for me) cheese and bacon.
Twice Baked Potato casserole
 . With a few changes to the recipe and adding a few steps I got a wonderful potato dish that I was happy I made and will make again. Firstly to feel less guilty I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. I cut the amount to 1 and 3/4s cup give or take and only used 1/2 a LB of bacon. I baked 5 big baking potatoes in the early afternoon and peeled after baking. I cut into cubes and then as I assembled my casserole I smashed them a little with a fork. Not mashed. Smash your first layer in the baking dish thats 1 size smaller then 9/13. Smash the remaining potatoes on a cutting board, next 1/3 of the bacon goes on, then 1/2 the sour cream and cheese another layer of potatoes then 1/3 more bacon then the rest of the cheese mixture top that with the rest of the potatoes,sprinkle with shredded cheese add remaining bacon and into the oven it goes. Green onions make it even prettier and taste good
Liked the results so much I had to give you a 2nd look.

    We had a chicken dish with tomato and lime with the potato casserole. It was good and I will make it again but the casserole over shadowed every thing else on the table.The flavors were subtle and very well blended and the chicken tender as well as tasty. There was nothing dry about it at all. There was no left over chicken either.
 Tomato Lime Chicken
    I think it is safe to say this was a winner winner chicken dinner.
     A cheery Monday to you! Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...