Monday, February 11, 2019

Franklin Parker Preserve, The Red Trail



 Good Monday morning to you. The post you are about to read I wrote last Monday, then I got busy and never posted it. By busy I mean I needed to get a quilt top finished, and another quilt started, and get everything put away, as well as get the house spic and span before the weekend. Because I celebrated 60 birthdays this weekend and we threw a party. Thats a story for another time. Today however I hope you enjoy my walk with Jill.


 Sunday I took a walk with Jill, we went back to the Franklin Parker Preserve because I was so intrigued with what I had seen and even more by what I read about the trails in the Preserve, especially the Red Trail. I just had to get back there and do some more exploring.
  These days walks with Jill are a special treat. She is in the fight for life, and I mean that literally, so sometimes the fight makes her too tired and weak to take the walks we use to. Sunday I gave her a call and she was feeling like walking, so off we went.
   We both brought our cameras, and a happy excitement to be hanging out with each other. I had no intention of making a blog out of this walk because,1) It was after all 2 friends hanging out, and 2) Just how many post can you make about the Pine Barrens, not to mention the same preserve, I already wrote about. Then we walked one of the coolest trail I have ever been on. 

     When you stand in the parking lot facing the gate to the green trail, the 2 entrances for the red trail are on your left and right. Bill and I went to the left, and found a trail that was low key and easy, more like a path. Jill and I went in on the right and found the exact opposite in every way much to our pleasure.



  The red trail is rugged and at times confusing. I didn't know while we were walking but some of the unique sights we saw were because we were walking in old cranberry bogs that had been restored back to their natural wetlands. Walking along the floor of an actual bog is completely amazing, even when you don't know that's what your doing. 

 The confusing part of the trail were all the twist and turns. At one point we thought it was just turning us back around to go back the way we had come, but nope, it turned us around and then sent us to the right. The trail got even more interesting after that. We walked around old bogs still full of water, some of them frozen, some over flowing onto the trail. We were so thankful for the great tagging on the trail, getting lost could easily happen. There were times when we had no idea which way to go, because the trail doesn't even look like a trail.  without those markers we might still be out there.We traveled up and down slopes and gentle hills, on paths almost too small to be a path, and around twisting  curves, and at every twist there was, was another sight that stopped us in our tracks and took our breath away. 



Then there were the foot bridges.
   One foot bridge looked like a bridge, the others not so much. I am going to let the pictures do the talking. I am missing 2 of the bridges, because Jill took those pictures and I don't have them, but I am sure you will get the idea.



  We did almost the full 5 miles of the red trail, when we got to the spot where the green and red trail meet up, we chose the green trail, a shorter and much easier walk with the wind at our backs. The sights on the green trail are beautiful too, and the trail is more like a road making the walking a whole lot smoother.


     We were both invigorated and satisfied when we got home, and ready for a nap. 
        Have a wonderful day, and keep on walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Short and Sweet!

                        Busy Busy Busy, that would be me !    The weekend was filled with family, friends, games and lots of good food. We w...