Play Time and Chili

    Good Morning and a Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

 I can smell the corn beef and cabbage now. I won't be cooking tonight because of DR appointments but you can bet I will indeed find my way to some corn beef and cabbage, and maybe a wee drop of the Whiskey.
  This past weekend was a Madeline weekend. For the first time ever she went out the back door to the swing set all by herself. She asked if she could go out first got her jacket on and went. It gave me a chance to practice with my camera outside and moving subjects. An area I need lots and lots of practice at. Outside and indoors after dark are the hardest most impossible shots for me to get. Close ups are the worst. I still keep trying and every once in a while I get lucky and get a few keepers. Like Domino guarding Madeline.

 I know a few of the pictures look out of frame and I could crop them to get them in frame but then you miss the whole story. Domino stayed in the sand box turning in all directions until he decided it was safe enough then he laid in the sand box until she was ready to come back in.





 He walked her to the steps and after she walked in the door he had himself a liberating roll in the grass. 



Arts and Crafts filled our night as Domino got some rest after a hard day of baby sitting. I can't think of a better way to spend my weekend.

                              "What Was Dinner"?
 I love dinners I can cook in one pan and I can do without a recipe. Chili is one of those dinners. There are 100's or 1000's of Chili recipes out there but you really don't need one. Chili is one of the simplest dishes to put together there is. The first time I made Chili I had no idea I was making Chili. I had a pan, ground, beef, some tomatoes to ripe for a salad, onion, a can of kidney beans, and a few spices and the need to get something made for dinner. It is just that simple really. My first chili I had ready in less then an hour now it takes closer to 2 hours because I like everything to simmer together and the flavors to blend. How do you make chili? This is how I make mine.
1 lb ground turkey
1 can drained and rinsed Black Beans
1 can drained and rinsed Red Beans
1 med onion chopped
1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
2 TBS chili powder ( I really don't measure so the spices you should take my measurements more as a guide line and adjust to your taste)
1/2 tsp Ancho chili pepper
1/4 tsp ground cumin
cayenne pepper
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large can peeled plum tomatoes 
1 tomato can of water if needed
 In a large heavy skillet or dutch oven heat 2 TBS cooking oil, add turkey to the hot oil and brown crumbling into small bits as you go, add onion and pepper to the meat and cook till onion is translucent. Add in the garlic and cook a minute more, add your spices, mix in the beans and add the tomatoes juice and all. Smash the tomatoes with your hand or a masher just don't smash them to much.Cover and bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minute Add water as needed through cooking time. Uncover half way through cooking. An hour or more is best for a tasty rich and hearty Chili.

 It has changed a little since I made my first Chili. One thing that never changes is the amount of pans I use. 1 and done. I am all about easy clean up. One pan dinners and parchment paper are my best friends.
  A cheery Monday to you all! Thank you for stopping by.
   

Comments

Popular Posts