Sunday, June 17, 2012

What Was New at Dinner 06/16/2012

Due to a fuzzy head on Saturday morning I wrote no blogs and planned no dinner for that night,Bill took care of dinner with steak and potatoes. All good but nothing new.
 On Friday night we had take out pizza, wings, and cheese steaks. Unusual but not really new.
 I did however make something new earlier in the week that I hadn't told you about I think now is as good a time as any.
  This was for sure the week of cream and stirring. Every new dish I tried had cream or milk and butter in it. I didn't notice till the week was done and I was looking back at my menu. This dish is no different.
 I found this recipe in a book from my Grandma's collection of pamphlets. This book is called "Recipes" Recipes from the tower kitchen by Carol Haddix,food writer. Detroit Free Press(the action paper) This is a very cool pamphlet with more then one recipe screaming for me to try it. The one I tried is called "Mushroom Curried Peas" it was good and I will make it again with a change or 2. I don't use canned soups when I can help it so I replaced the can of soup with a cream of mushroom I make my self. The recipe I follow is for a different dish and yielded more then a can does.I need to adjust my measurements a bit for the peas. I am pretty sure the peas aren't suppose to drown in the soup.The only other change I am thinking is using peas and carrots and maybe pearl onions. 
  The recipe and the way the finished dish looks made me think of green bean casserole that is until I tasted it,this is a dish with its own flavor and personality.Like every new dish I made this week this recipe is based in cream but there was no stirring(can you feel me smiling)in fact this is what I call a no fuss recipe.
              Mushroom Curried Peas
2 pkg.(10 oz. each)frozen peas
10 1/2 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 c grated onion
1 T melted butter
1/4 t curry powder
Place frozen peas in a one and one half quart casserole. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over peas. Bake covered in a pre heated 350 degree oven about one hour. Stir before serving.

                   My Cream Of Mushroom
2 Tsp butter
1/2 small onion finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms ruff chopped (adjust the measurement to suit you)
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
2 Tsp flour
1/2 cup broth or white wine
Combine sour cream, water, and flour mixing well. sit a side. I a heavy skillet melt butter and add onion. Cook till just starting to become translucent; add mushrooms;and cook for about 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Carefully add broth or wine let cook down for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sour cream mixture and cook on med to low heat for about 5 minutes more or until it reaches the desired thickness for the dish you want to use this with.
 If you are cooking meat and can use the pan dripping add them to the butter or just cook the cream of mushroom in the pan you cooked the meat in. Adds a lot of flavor. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living!

       It is Thursday already! where did the Week go? I can't believe how fast time flies some times.        I spent time in the sewing...