Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What Was Dinner 05/15/2012

Last night was my all time favorite dinner. Fried chicken mashed potatoes with milk gravy and corn.
  Growing up we had a Birthday tradition  on your birthday you get to pick the dinner menu. On my Birthday no one had to ask every one knew I was picking fried chicken,instant mashed potatoes,and canned corn. Over the years my taste has improved some what. My favorite dinner is still Fried chicken with mashed, gravy and corn only now the potatoes are not instant and the corn is on the cob and I have added tossed salad to the menu.
  Last night was not my Birthday, I had just been craving  this meal for a few days.I definitely was not disappointed.
  I fried my chicken the way I always do in a cast iron pan using bacon fat as my grease.
  While frying up the chicken I put together a tossed salad with green onion,cucumber and tomato. I seasoned it with basil,oregano,salt and pepper and dressed it with cottage cheese. The salad smelled so good and tasted even better.I added honey to the water for the corn and melted a 1/2 stick of butter for serving with the corn. I boiled and mashed the potatoes using sour cream in place of milk to make them nice and creamy. 
         Once the chicken was cooked I removed it from the pan and keeping it warm I tackled my arch nemesis of cooking,,,Milk Gravy!  Over the years I have become an expert at making gravy,but that was not always so, there was a time when I was the queen of lumps.
                      




 Milk gravy was my favorite and I just loved the way my grandma made it.No matter how much I watched her make that gravy I just couldn't seem to master it, it would either be lumpy, runny or worse taste like paste or burnt coffee. I finally after many many years and attempts did master Milk gravy and now after all that practice and trial and error I can make any gravy under the sun and serve it proudly knowing it will be some of the best gravy you will ever taste. 
      This was a favorite dinner growing up and it is still a favorite dinner now. 
  I absolutely understand how this was once considered to be the best Sunday dinner.    
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Living

    Here it is Thursday already. I swear, you blink and weeks go by.      I can't say anything exciting happened this week. I have been ...